The last day or two before your wedding can get hectic. You're delivering things, collecting things, popping bubbly and hopefully indulging in lots of relaxation and beautification. But making your tan/nail/wax/Prosecco appointments can take up a lot of headspace, and often, little things get forgotten along the way. Which is why we're sharing our handy checklist of what to pack in your wedding overnight bag.
What to Pack in your Wedding Overnight Bag
Now, your personalised packing list will of course vary depending on whether you're getting ready at home and heading to your wedding straight from there, or if you're prepping in the bridal suite and spending a few nights away from home. This helpful list is an overall guide to help you make your own, so take what applies to you, and ignore the rest when it comes to packing your own wedding overnight bag.
- Wedding night lingerie (FYI, there's every chance you won't have the energy to put these on until you're on honeymoon, but it's good to be prepared!)
- Heavy duty make-up remover - oil based ones are great for lifting layers of makeup
- Cotton wool
- Second-day outfit
- Second-day underwear
- Second-day shoes and accessories - if your shoes are in boxes, you can put photos on each one so you can see what's inside at a glance
- Flat shoes
- Comfy socks
- Hair mask (if you'll have a lot of day-after back-combing to tend to!)
- Bubble bath - if your bridal suite has a big tub!
- Nail file
- Your makeup bag
- Your perfume
- A mini speaker
- Medication and birth control
- Phone charger
- House keys
- A bottle of bubbly
What to Pack if You're Getting Ready at the Hotel or Venue
Add these to the list above if you're getting ready at your venue or a hotel!
- Something to wear for hair and make-up - a robe or button-up that goes easily over your head is best! Make sure it's something you're happy to be photographed in too, if your photographer is coming for this part of the day.
- Snacks for the wedding morning and bottled water, if the venue won't be supplying food and drinks
- Your wedding dress or wedding-day outfit, with a hanger
- Your lingerie
- Your shoes
- Your wedding-day handbag
- Your jewellery and accessories
- Any sentimental items you want with you
- Wedding-day emergency kit - safety pins, tissues etc. Delegate this one to a bridesmaid if you can!
- Anything you'd like to have photographed - wedding stationery is a common one!
- Wedding lipstick
- Headphones, in case you need some chill time
- Any cash payments ready in envelopes for on-the-day suppliers (put these in the safe when you arrive at the venue)
- A list of suppliers, their contact details and a timeline for the day
- Pen and notepad
- Paperwork or ID for the legal ceremony, if required
- The wedding rings!
- Wedding party gifts
Tips for Packing for your Wedding
- Obviously this is a list for brides (grooms, we'll do one for you soon, too!) but it's important to note, items like the paperwork, wedding rings, or the supplier payments are for both of you to remember, the burden shouldn't be on just one half of a couple!
- You might only be going away for one or two nights, but weddings come with lots of 'stuff' as standard, so don't try to cram it all into a small weekend bag (and about four totes), take your big suitcase so there's lots of room for everything you need.
- Make like a pro traveller and use packing pouches to keep things together, that way you'll have all the elements of your different outfits organised together, and you'll be able to find things when you need them
- Shawls for the bridesmaids, a basket for the flower girl... divvy out any accessories or items for the wedding party in the days or weeks before the wedding so it's no longer your responsibility to look after them.
- If you're getting ready at home and heading straight to the ceremony, have someone reliable bring your overnight bag to the hotel or accommodation ahead of you. Ensure it's delivered to your room, and any important items (like a second-day party dress) are hung up. Don't just bring it in the wedding car with you, you might forget about it, and it'll be left in the boot or, worse, head off with the driver!
- Need help packing for your honeymoon too? Check out our ultimate honeymoon packing list!
Read our tips for keeping calm on the morning of your wedding!
Listen & Subscribe to The One Fab Day Wedding Podcast
You can listen to the One Fab Day Wedding Podcast wherever you get your podcasts, and search them on Spotify and Apple Podcasts.